The Athens area is full of some of the most benevolent, charitable, and simply good-natured people Carol and her team have ever met. The city is fortunate to have numerous charities and non-profit organizations that work to positively impact the community and its people.
Carol, Jarrett, and Melody of Your Home Team believe in the power of giving back to these groups who have selflessly given so much of their own time and efforts. That’s why when you buy or sell a home with Your Home Team, they “Pay it Forward.” In November of 2017, Your Home Team made a commitment to donate 10% of each commission earned to an Athens Area charity of the buyer or seller’s choice. In the past, closing gifts were given at the commencement of a home’s sale. It was becoming increasingly difficult to find the right “fit” for their clients – whether the gift be a birdhouse, a bottle of champagne, or a doormat. After some brainstorming, the team decided their closing gifts should come from the heart – in the form of a donation to local non-profit organizations. As a team, they are excited to be able to make an impact on the community in a way that will honor the purchase or sale of our clients’ home.
Already, Your Home Team has donated tens of thousands of dollars to various charities- from Project Safe, The Mercy Clinic, and Live Forward (Formerly AIDS Athens) to The Madison-Oglethorpe Animal Shelter and Sweet Olive Farms.
Making a Difference in the Athens Area
Here’s a look at a small few of the charities, non-profits, and organizations who are working to make Athens a better place:
- Athens Community Council on Aging (ACCA): ACCA promotes a lifetime of wellness through engagement, advocacy, education, and support for older adults in the Greater Athens Area. www.accaging.org/
- Project Safe: A nonprofit working to end domestic violence through prevention and education programs, crisis intervention, and ongoing supportive services for survivors of domestic violence and their children. http://www.project-safe.org/
- Extra Special People (ESP): ESP provides opportunities for individuals with disabilities and their families to engage, connect, and thrive. http://extraspecialpeople.com/
- United Way of Northeast Georgia: United Way is working to create a region where every man, woman, and child has access to quality education, financial stability, and a healthy lifestyle. http://www.unitedwaynega.org/about-usc
- The Cottage: A sexual assault center and children’s advocacy center who raises awareness and facilitates the healing of individuals, families, and communities affected by sexual violence and child abuse. http://www.northgeorgiacottage.org/
- Athens-Oconee CASA: A non-profit dedicated to promoting safe homes for children in times of family crisis, and provides many other programs that serve families in need. More information about Children First can be found at their website, http://www.childrenfirst-inc.org.
For a complete list of the hundreds of organizations impacting the Athens Area in a positive way, click here.
Supporting the Arts
The arts have always been highly regarded and revered as a foundation of Athens life. There are several organizations devoted to the arts and their preservation and appreciation:
- Classic Center Cultural Foundation: provides resources to entertain and educate the community by providing and supporting diverse performing, visual, and culinary arts programs at The Classic Center. https://classiccenter.com/150/Cultural-Foundation
- Athens Area Arts Council: A non-profit organization whose goal is to integrate the vast cultural resources of Athens into the fabric of our education system and economy, as well as the culture of our community. They sponsor unique performance and events that will broaden exposure to art, music, dance, theater, and literature. https://athensarts.org/
- GA Children’s Chorus: A children’s chorus working to build teamwork, self-expression, and confidence through music all while having fun. http://georgiachildrenschorus.org/